Thursday, November 22, 2007

Dancing with the Grizzlies: Terah Chin




Some people think going to Grizzlies games is a pain and expensive and not likely to do much but make you tired the next day at work. I met Terah Chin leaving the game the other night and she graciously accepted my invitation to be interviewed for 3 Shades of Blue. So without further ado here is Terah's interview.

3SoB: When did you start dancing?
TC: I actually first started dancing when I was only 5 years old. My mom wanted me to be a competitive ice skater so I took ballet lessons when I was younger to help me as a skater. I competed in national tournaments until I was in the fourth grade. Then I accidently fell in love with basketball after trying to impress a crush on the playground and it was all over from there!

3SoB: What was the main attraction to being a Grizzlies Dance Team member?
TC: The free basketball tickets of course! If you think about, I was paid to do two things I love, watch basketball and dance. It was the best part time job ever!



3SoB: What was the funniest experience you had as a member?
TC: Too many to comment on...

3SoB: What was the worst experience (on the court not behind the scenes, I would prefer to leave negative team experiences out of the interview)?
TC: The worst experience was learning that one of our biggest promotions was canceled. We had been invited to represent the Grizzlies in China, but another NBA dance team got to go instead of us.

3SoB: Who was the most famous person you met in your role as a Dance Team member?
TC: Justin Timberlake came into our locker room one year unannounced. I guess that’s one of the perks of being an A-list Celebrity. His little brother used to dance on the Junior Grizzlies Squad so he was poking around the locker rooms looking for him...so we think.

3SoB: What do you do now that you aren't dancing?
TC: I work at FOX 13 as a Media Rep selling advertising. I love my job because I help other people’s businesses by increasing their revenue through effective marketing. Everyone likes you when you can help them make more money!

3SoB: So what is else is happening in your life? I mean it can't be all work and no play.
TC: I’m also getting married in Cancun in a few weeks. I met my future husband at a mutual friend’s wedding and as cliche as it sounds, it was love at first sight. He is the love of my life and my best friend. I can’t wait to spend the rest of our lives together.


3SoB: If you were talking to someone interested in becoming a dance team member what advice would you give and why?
TC: Just be yourself and show a lot of self confidence at tryouts.

3SoB: What was your favorite Grizzlies game? Does one game stand out among the rest for sheer excitement?
TC: The first season, first round of playoffs. The energy in the Pyramid was incredible! I have never seen or felt anything like it in the world.

3SoB: What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?
TC: Taxiing my kids around to all of their practices. I can’t wait to raise little athletes!

3SoB: What experience are you most grateful for from your time as a dancer.
TC: Meeting one of my best friends in the entire world. She is like the sister I never had. I’m really blessed to have such great people in my life!

3SoB: Thanks for taking the time to do this. I know people are going to be interested in knowing what you are up to these days.

I wonder how many more people would attend games if they knew Terah was going to be there most nights!

No comments: